Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Azinger: Tiger embarrassed Augusta members

Paul Azinger and Tiger Woods
Stop the presses, golf fans.  There is more news from Augusta National Golf Club, home of the Masters Golf Tournament and home of the racists and misogynists who run the golf tournament that was held last weekend.

TV commentator and pro golfer Paul Azinger has called out Tiger Woods for kicking his club on the 16th tee at Augusta last weekend.

Here's what Azinger said:  "Tiger's antics this week were an embarrassment to the game, to the membership at Augusta.  I was really disappointed to see him carry on that way. He's not trying to endear himself to anybody. And after he won Bay Hill I thought, ‘here we go again, this is going to be Tiger just kicking butt and taking names.' I don't know. I thought he acted like the south end of a northbound mule."

The membership at Augusta embarrassed by Tiger Woods?  These green jacketed bigots have lots of other things to be embarrassed about.  Let's try one African-American member, no women members, a history of racism.  Hell, the new CEO of IBM is a woman, and these cowards won't offer her membership in their exclusive all boys circle jerk.  How can these guys operate like this in 2012 and be ignored by America?

Paul Azinger continues to show his Republican stripes, and ABC/ESPN looks the other way.  Azinger tweeted last August that President Obama, while vacationing on Martha's Vineyard, "has played more golf this month than I have; I have created more jobs this month than he has."  ESPN reminded Azinger that his tweet was inconsistent with the social media policy of Disney, owner of ABC and ESPN. A slap on the wrist!

As I said on a prior posting, in 1993 Azinger let everybody know that he wasn't going to shake President Bill Clinton's hand when the U.S. Ryder Cup team visited the White House.  Azinger did go, however, and he was the FIRST golfer to shake Clinton's hand.  So much for following through on what you said, Paul!  And to show you how right-wing the PGA tour is, Azinger was appointed captain of last year's U. S. Ryder Cup team.  It's like he's being rewarded for being an asshole.

"Terrible" Tommy Bolt lets a club fly!

I wish Azinger (and Tiger) could have seen Tommy Bolt, who was a maniac on the golf course.  Bolt was certainly my hero when I played golf in high school.   His club throwing was legendary.  All Woods did was give his wedge a little kick.  Look at Bolt in the photo above.  Now that's a club throw!

I should recuse myself here because I have a garage-full of broken golf clubs dating back to 1963.  Hey, golf is a frustrating game.  Tiger got upset when he pulled his ball into a sand trap on an obvious birdie hole.  He kicked his wedge.  Big deal!

My question is who does Azinger think he is to criticize Tiger and try to ingratiate himself to the racists and misogynists at Augusta? 

What he is is a washed up golfer who should keep his big mouth shut.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a few of those club in your garage get broken. It was an honor to see each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the clubs get broken, Tony. But no one is embarrassed--except the club thrower, and he accepts the embarrassment calmly.

      Delete
  2. Paul Azinger as a commentator makes me understand why so many of my friends hate golf as an elitist game for fascists. Too bad, I love golf but agree on Azinger.

    ReplyDelete