Sunday, April 22, 2012

Some Random Thoughts on a Sunday Morning

Just sitting at the kitchen table this Sunday morning thinking about the world . . .

Senator Dick Lugar
According to today's Wall St. Journal, the Tea Party is trying to unseat Indiana Senator Dick Lugar and Nevada Senator Orin Hatch.  I would be happy to say goodbye to Hatch (His defense of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas during Thomas's senate hearings was a joke), but Lugar is a real Chuck Percy/Jacob Javits Republican.  It would be a shame to see Dick Lugar go.  The U.S. Senate needs more senators like Lugar.  The Tea Party is going to do more for the Democrats than any PAC money can do!  Just watch!


Carol Marin
Take a look at Carol Marin's column in the Chicago Sun-Times today (April 22nd).  The Vatican is zeroing in on American Catholic nuns for their "feminist agenda."  Marin points out how the nuns are being unfairly targeted by the Vatican and how Rome ignores the pedofile priests and the bishops who protect them.  My mom always said that I got more English from the Springfield Dominicans at St. Thomas the Apostle Grade School than I got in high school or college, and I think she was probably right.  The nuns were great teachers!  Marin's column is must reading!

Peoria Bishop Daniel Jenky
The bishop of Peoria, Illinois, Danial Jenky, compared President Obama to Adolph Hitler in a sermon last Sunday.  I hope the conservative Catholics are happy.  They've driven lifelong Catholics like me away from the Church in droves.  I give all former collection money to SNAP (Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests) now.  

Mommy and I were up late Saturday night as the Chicago Blackhawks won 2-1 in overtime in Phoenix, forcing a game 6 at the United Center on Monday night.  The Hawks still trail the Coyotes three games to two, but Chicago could win this series because Phoenix is not a very good team.  The Hawks will never advance further, however.  They're simply not very good.  No goalie and no defense after Seabrook and Keith.

Governor "Gadfly"
Governor "Gadfly," also known as Pat Quinn, unveiled his pension proposal on Friday.  Apparently the teachers' unions only attended four of the meetings leading up to Quinn's decision.  The Civic Committee (see prior posting) attended all of them.  Teachers helped Quinn beat Bill Brady in the last gubernatorial election.  Guess what, Gadfly, they won't be with you this time.  Get ready for Governor Lisa Madigan (Thanks, Daddy!)

The new Corolla has Sirius XM radio, and my three-month subscription is about to run out.  I'm amazed how restricted the playlists are on the various Sirius XM channels.  I've been listening mostly to the "50's on Five" channel because the Chicago radio stations refuse to play any 50's records any longer.  I've heard "Bobby's Girl" by Marcie Blane  and "Navy Blue," by Diane Renay, at least six times each.  The irony is that both of these songs are from the 1960's, not the 50's.  I don't think I'll continue my subscription on Sirius XM!  I've had enough of short playlists!  Luckily the new car has a USB port for the I-Pod.

Carl Sandburg
Carl Sandburg Days in Galesburg this weekend!  Poetry Slam guru Marc Smith was here last night reading Sandburg poems at the Cherry Street bar and restaurant.  I've never understood why Sandburg is not a part of the American poetry canon.  His poems have great literary value.  Take Sandburg's poem "Grass" for instance:


      ile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo,
      Shovel them under and let me work--
      I am the grass; I cover all.
       
      And pile them high at Gettysburg
      And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
      Shovel them under and let me work.
      Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
      What place is this?
      Where are we now?
       
      I am the grass.
      Let me work. 

When I taught accelerated sophomore English at Fremd High School, we could talk about this poem for days!  You can have your Wallace Stevens or your Marianne Moore; give me Sandburg!

Have a great Sunday!  More coming soon!





2 comments:

  1. I will never forget you bellowing out "HOG BUTCHER OF THE WORLD!" when we did Carl Sandburg in Freshman English in 1994. Actually to tell the truth, I bellow "HOG BUTCHER OF THE WORLD!" at my husband every time we go to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Lisa,
    I'm still bellowing it out! That should be a comfort to you. I bellowed it out last Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete